Sunday, December 28, 2008

Dominion Problems

In my post yesterday, if you look carefully at the brick you can see mortar lines, I didn't want mortar lines!  In all photos of the prototype, the brick is painted thus no mortar lines.  Why would I do such a thing you may ask?  It was a mistake and I think it may have been a chemical reaction.  What I think happened is last Monday I applied a coat of dullcote to seal in what has been done.  Yesterday I gave all the brick a wash of india ink/alcohol.  When that was dried the black of the india ink went white???  

So after that and not being a fan of the color I chose for the brick, I decided to repaint. . . . . . again!  The color is a little brighter of a red, it is hard to tell from my crappy photos  but it made a huge change.

The good thing that came from this is I think I stumbled across a really good way to do mortar lines in brick.

3 comments:

nscale said...

Alcohol and Dullcote don't mix. The two combined will create a white, almost chalky looking "scaling" on the surface.

It's okay to use Dullcote on a model that has been previously weathered with alcohol provided that the alcohol is 100% dry.

But if you add alcohol on top of Dullcote, the Dullcoat will break down and scale.

This is sometimes a desired effect -- especially if you want a calcium scaling on brick surface.

The problem is that it's very unpredictable and will change based on how much alcohol is used, how dry everything is, etc. While this time around you got mortar lines, next time around you could easily get an entirely white model.

Christopher Brimley said...

huh! I did not know that.

nscale said...

I was just reading a about the hazing problem caused by alcohol and Dullcote mixing.

I haven't tried it, but a few different sites say that if this happens, simple add another coat of Dullcote and the hazing will disappear.