Monday, December 15, 2008

Photo of the Day


Sorry I missed a few days of this but I am sure that will happen from time to time.  
Okay to business.
If you look very carefully you will see a row of buildings just behind the tree that may look familiar.  They are the same ones that I posted about earlier, the one with 3 1/2 floors.  This is about two decades before the other photo, and about a decade before this, an El ran through here.  The locale of the scene is called Peter Minuit Plaza, in lower Manhattan. 
A photo like this one is a very valuable thing to have if you are working towards a specific era and feel.  I love the signs on these buildings and plan to implement as much of them as possible into current or future projects.  The other thing that if it wasn't here you couldn't date the photo mentally in your head as easy, is the cars and busses.  Using period vehicles is a key element that will help date your layout, especially  for the non railroader.  They may not know that a SD70ACe wasn't around in the 50's but they will know that a 1996 Ford Taurus were nowhere to be found.
Also on a unrelated note, I have gobs of time this weekend and will be blitzing the Dominion Building, I need it done by the first of March so I can enter it for NMRA AP judging contest.  So stay tuned for Sunday night as I will give a update then.

Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interestingly enough, at the smaller size of the photo, I really believed this to be a model layout until I clicked on it for the larger size.